Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On the Mend

As you know from an earlier blog posting that I was admitted to hospital on Tuesday February 10, 2009. I am getting treatment for a condition called Omental Infarction. The condition results in severe abdomen pain that typically simulates acute appendicitis. In my case, the condition is not fatal and is treatable.

I want to thank the team of nurses and doctors for their excellent medical care during my stay. It has been difficult being away from the office, but I have been in daily contact with my staff and carrying out my responsibilities as Mayor through email.

In fact, on the day I was admitted to hospital my resolution to improve timely and local access to hospital care in Vaughan and high growth areas across Ontario was submitted to Committee of the Whole. The resolution calls on the Government of Ontario to speed up implementation of its hospital growth funding commitment ensuring that $100 million in growth funding is targeted to high growth hospitals and provides growth funding for social services.

The timing of my resolution and my hospital stay was coincidental, but undergoing treatment allowed me to see firsthand the great work being done by our heath care professionals and the fact that they really are under-resourced. I want to see my resolution passed quickly so we can get additional resources for health care as soon as possible.

I expect to be released from hospital within the next few days. I will update you on my progress. In the meantime, if you have a comment or question, send me a note and I will respond when I can.

1 comment:

  1. I was sorry to hear that you were ill. I hope you are better this week.

    ReplyDelete