Thursday, January 15, 2009

What do you think?

According to the old Chinese proverb a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I believe that step was taken on Sunday when I launched the Working Together for Vaughan campaign.

I have set aside my personal differences and have started reaching out to my colleagues on Council. In fact, yesterday I invited every Member of Council to meet with me individually over the next couple of weeks to discuss City priorities. I want to talk about our ten point plan and review the specific timelines for implementation and where needed, update the specific strategy for each initiative.

With respect to other infrastructure needs, York Region has submitted a list of priority projects to the federal government with input from all Vaughan Regional Councillors. Although our projects weren’t listed in the Toronto Star today, I can assure you we have been working hard to make sure Ottawa knows what projects are important to the City of Vaughan leading up to the federal budget on Tuesday, January 27, 2009.

I am hopeful that all Members of Council can move forward together in a civil and professional manner. A good start might be reappointing me to the board of Powerstream. I was disappointed by the lack of consultation leading up to that decision. Reappointing me would be a positive gesture that we could all point to as a concrete sign of re-establishing conciliation and cooperation at City Hall.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I wish Vaughan could have been at the table in Ottawa, along with Mayor Miller and Mayor McCallion. I think that with the amount of money here, the amount of industry and a growing population, we deserve to have our voice listened to...loudly.

    I agree with the notion that you should be re-appointed to the Board. It was unprofessional for the Board of Powerstream to have let you go. It would be a step in the right direction. Whether 'they' will do it? That is yet to be proven whether they are adult enough, or smart enough.

    ReplyDelete