Sunday, January 11, 2009

Why “Working Together for Vaughan” is more than just another campaign promise

Today, I had the pleasure of launching my new campaign at the Vellore Village Community Centre.

“A new campaign?” you say. “What’s that all about?”

I’ll get to that in a moment, but first why is Vellore Village so important?

Growing up I watched my mother work, first as a city councillor, and then as Mayor to the great City of Vaughan. Politics – at all levels – was a big part of my childhood. I had the opportunity to see first-hand what it was like to be an elected official. I learned that some of it can be truly remarkable, and some of it can be disheartening.

As a Regional Councillor I experienced the remarkable part by working together with my colleagues from City council and the York Catholic District School Board to make Vellore Village Community Centre a reality. We helped create a place where families and students come together to swim, to skate, to play basketball and to take part in all kinds of community programs. As I said in my speech today, it’s a place where friendships are forged and neighbours get to know neighbours.

It is truly an example of what hard work, vision and cooperation can deliver. Something I think we need more of in light of recent events at City Hall.

I want to be clear: no one person is to blame for the recent political difficulties. I firmly believe that. But now, the beginning of the New Year, is the time to turn the page and move forward together. And that’s what “Working Together for Vaughan” is all about.

The taxpayers of Vaughan rightfully expect that we approach our job in a civil, responsible and professional manner. That’s what they do every day, and they want to know their elected officials are doing the same.

However, I believe we should be held to a higher standard.

That’s why a key component of the campaign is to strengthen the existing City Expenditure Policy. Today, I proposed bringing in tough new regulations that will restrict the use of expenditures and make the City of Vaughan the standard bearer in Canada for accountability and transparency.

I know you’re probably thinking: “Politicians make promises all the time. Why is the ‘Working Together for Vaughan’ campaign any different?”

It’s different because this isn’t just another campaign. It’s my personal commitment to work with all Members of Council to try and set aside our personal differences, return professionalism to City Hall and improve accountability and transparency. I truly believe, as my mother taught me, that this job is too important to let differences of opinion get in the way of our duties and responsibilities. We need to set the acrimony aside and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment